Mom Taught Me…A tribute to our first creative encouragers

Catherine2 “My mom started my love of crafting by teaching my how to sew when I was eight. I made a pair of pants in 2nd grade…I remember they were the most beautiful light green color and had a super fun draw string waist!  We were always sewing something and I love how there were always piles and piles of fabric and patterns and projects strewn about the craft room.”

- Catherine Pooler, Founder

laurelmothersday “My mom told me to have fun and don’t make it stressful. She taught me creativity comes to you anywhere and everywhere. All you have to do is open your eyes.

- Laurel Beard, Design Team Member

Ingridmothersday “My mom taught me that the world was full of color. There were always paints and creative tools to play around with. She taught me to be open to possibilities and that creative thinking was something to embrace in every aspect of life. “

- Ingrid Blackburn, Customer Service Director and Design Team Member

lisamothersday “My mom taught me that things are not always as they seem. With a little imagination, determination and creativity you can transform anything into a work of art. She encouraged me to use blank walls as canvases and not to worry about holes because holes can be fixed.

When I was a teen I was literally allowed to paint murals on the walls. I painted life size Sesame Street characters on my little sisters’ walls using coloring book images as inspiration. One wall in my little brother’s room had a football helmet from every team in the NFL. I was really good at copying and the larger the image the better they turned out. My mom noticed that and encouraged me to paint.”

- Lisa Harrolle, Design Team Member

kellymothersday “My mom taught me that if what you’ve created makes your heart sing, then it doesn’t matter what anyone else thinks.”

- Kelly Phillips, Chief Operations Officer

melissamothersday “My mom taught me that art and beauty are everywhere. You just have to slow down and take the time to look for it.”

- Melissa Miller, Design Team Member

erikamothersday “True creativity comes from free thinking…I was free to explore and experiment. If I wanted pink clouds and purple grass, she would have praised my out of the box choice! Everything I made was beautiful because it was uniquely me!”

- Erika Post, StampNation Community Manager

suzannemillermothersday “My mom taught me it’s ok to try different types of crafts to find the styles or types you like. Sewing isn’t for everyone, but everyone is creative somehow.”

- Suzanne Parker Miller, Shipping Manager

SuziMothersDay “My mom started teaching us showtunes from the moment we were born. Creativity and the arts had a HUGE place in our home. There was always music, dancing, theater, and writing happening in some corner of our house at any given time.”

- Suzi Istvan, Branding and Communications Director

Your Turn!

Tell us in the comments what creative lessons your learned from the Moms in your life!

Mothers-Day-2017-FB-Share

Don’t forget- free US shipping on purchases over $75 is good until midnight tonight- no coupon code needed! Shop Now!

• Susan Nixon May 14, 2017, 3:38 pm

My mother was a wonderful embroiderer, and I watched her often. She died when I was nine, but I’d have to say she taught me by example that creating beautiful stitchery was part of being a woman. My aunt took over then, and she taught me that things should be as pretty on the back as on the front. From there, I’ve learned to create all sorts of things and that it doesn’t matter what it is, make it beautiful and do it well.

• Cheryl Jones May 14, 2017, 5:18 pm

My mom gave me the chances to create. When I was in middle school we had just moved into a new house. My mom let us pick wall color, carpet, shades, wallpaper, in any color and design we wanted. She bought me my own sewing machine in high school and allowed me to take classes to inspire me along the way. We took ceramic classes together when I was in grade school. These are all fond memories of my mom.

• Sandy May 14, 2017, 8:36 pm

My mom played the piano beautiful, we knew how loud or soft she was playing was how we would walk in the house. I always had crayons an paper. and I color things around me. My mom would always praise,& encourage me to try every thing.

• MaggieB May 14, 2017, 9:52 pm

My Mom was a young widow (39 years old) with 7 children so she didn’t have a lot of free time to craft with us but my mother has always had the voice of an angel and shared her love and gift of music with each of us. And homemade bread. I LOVE the smell of bread baking because it takes me right back to “the good old days” when I’d get off the school bus and smell the bread baking. We NEVER ate store bought bread when we were little and I always thought how “lucky” my friends were to eat Wonder Bread. Really? That’s funny to me now that I know how lucky we were to have homemade bread. Mom was always a great baker and sang as she baked.

• Theresa May 15, 2017, 1:59 am

My mom was so creative. I miss her so much. As a kid, I always looked forward to rainy days because we would go to the local craft store and find a project to make. I loved to watch her draw. She always sewed the most awesome Haloween costumes. She inspired me to be creative. I know my creativity comes from her and even though she’s gone, i feel close to her when i am in the creative zone. I am truly grateful for her.

• Pat May 15, 2017, 9:05 am

I just love the wonderful things that the ladies said about their Moms. Touching. I wish my daughter still felt that way about me.

Family Stuff Projects

Laurel CASE 2

Paradise Found Release Blog Hop Day #3

Best in Spa Colors 2

Paradise Found Release Blog Hop Day #2

Winter Woodland 2

Paradise Found Release Blog Hop Day #1

View More: http://em-grey.pass.us/cp-october-2017-product-images-em-grey-photography-raleigh-nc

Spa Collection Ink Release details and Winners!

day5

Two More Colors!!

View More: http://em-grey.pass.us/cp-october-2017-1-100

Spa Collection: Fourth Ink Color Reveal!

Screen Shot 2017-11-06 at 7.11.07 PM

Introducing Our New Ink Line!

View More: http://em-grey.pass.us/cp-october-2017-1-100

Surrounding Yourself With…

finding inspiration

Finding Inspiration

My Favorite Place

My Favorite Place….

2017101801

Best Wishes Hand Made Card with Ardyth

SelfCareWeekend_FB-Blog

CP’s Self-Care Weekend and a CHALLENGE!

Thank You Hand Made Card with Stenciling

KristieIpickyou

Citrus Slices and Checkerboards with Kristie

Kristieswoop

White and Black Popped Sentiment Focal Point with Kristie Goulet

Stamp of Approval Project guide

Who’s looking for inspiration?