Do you need to use a powder tool for Heat Embossing?

heat embossing

I’ve heard some debate as to whether you need to use a Deactivator Tool or an Embossing Buddy to remove the static from your cardstock when using WOW Embossing Powder.

I decided to experiment and check it out for myself.  View the video to see what my results were!

So you saw first hand what my experience was.  I did not try out White EP on Black Cardstock (SORRY!), but I’d probably get simliar results.

I do think heat and humidity may factor into YOUR experience and you may not get exactly the same results that I did.

On my Die Storage Solutions video,  Beau DeLeon says:

“I talked to a couple of girls who work directly with WOW! and they told me that yes it does have the anti-static agent in them but depending on the weather in your location can still need some powder.  I live in South Dakota and this time of year we get about 90% humidity.  I have had to use it on the darker powders especially.  However, on the white and clear, if I use the powder tool, it counteracts with the anti-static agent that is already in the product and so the powder gets everywhere lol.  I don’t know, I just use it on the darker or opaque and it seems to work a little better with those.”

I hope this video was helpful – leave me a comment and tell me what experience you have had and if you use an anti-static tool.

• Jean Bullock January 19, 2015, 11:51 pm

I couldn’t find a powder tool at any of my local craft stores, so I googled and found a video tutorial on how to make your own using knee hi’s . It works fine. Sometimes I can still see very tiny specks. I guess most people wouldn’t notice them but I do. I haven’t used a commercial tool so I don’t know if that is any better. I think that some of the specks may be impurities from constantly putting the powder back into the container. The powder may not work on them perhaps because they may be heavier than the powder. I know that sometimes fibers get into the powder. Probably from my die cuts. The specks and fibers can sometimes mess up the embossing. Would love to have a fine mesh tool to strain those impurities out of the powder.

• Carol January 20, 2015, 4:57 pm

I have used your suggestion with the powder for a year or so and I am very happy with the results. I have not tried WOW tho. Thank you for sharing this information.

• auntbubbels January 20, 2015, 5:41 pm

I am always forgetting to use my deactivator and I see a big difference when I don’t use. I have many brands of embossing powders so I don’t know which ones work well with/without the activator.

As a rule of thumb, I try using it all the time (when I remember).

• Sharon January 20, 2015, 8:05 pm

I always use deactivator.

• Amy January 21, 2015, 1:33 am

I live in South Carolina so no matter what time of year it is always humid here. I’ve found that when you are embossing it is not only the weather that makes the difference, but the cardstock you are using also can effect the end result also. And bad cardstock and bad weather together just makes a mess. Don’t ask me how I know. Lol.

• Jane Schroeder January 30, 2015, 11:22 pm

You didn’t use the heating tool when using the embossing powders. Don’t you need to do that?

• Catherine January 31, 2015, 9:34 am

Hi Jane! Sorry, I did it off camera…I apologize for the confusion!

• Debbie Bonczek February 3, 2015, 12:42 am

Very helpful! I love the powder tool.

• Sharon Salerno March 9, 2015, 10:25 pm

I usually forget to use the powder and for the most part I have not had a problem. Could be that since I live in Colorado where humidity is low most of the year. I just did some embossing today and did not use the deactivator and it turned out great.

• Gail O May 4, 2015, 3:38 pm

I would point out that the EK Success Powder Tool may/does work well but it has a big problem for us crafters with allergies – it has highly scented powder that triggers an allergy attack for me every time I have to use it. I like the design and since it is refillable I am going to dump the powder and go to cornstarch or unscented powder. Wish I had been told about the highly scented powder before I bought it because I would not have bought it!

Gallery Projects Stampers' Q&A Tool Tips

CPBog

Simply Stamped with Maureen Merritt

Gelatos Backgrounds

Gelato Backgrounds and Stamping

DSC00500

Happy Anniversary card with Lydia Evans

summermasterclassseries_blogsized

Masterclasses coming to StampNation!

Screen Shot 2017-06-09 at 11.55.54 AM

We have WINNERS! Stamp of Approval

Naturally Inspired Stamp of Approval Emboss Resist

Naturally Inspired Stamp of Approval Blog Hop Day 3: Emboss Resist Card

Naturally Inspired Stamp of Approval 2

Naturally Inspired Stamp of Approval Blog Hop Day 2: Stamped and Die Cut Card

Masculine Card with Stamp of Approval 2

Naturally Inspired Stamp of Approval Blog Hop Day 1: Masculine Card

Birds of a Feather 2

Naturally Inspired Stamp of Approval – Birds of a Feather

The best is yet to come 2

Product Reveal Day #2: Naturally Inspired SOA

Laughter is the best medicine

Product Reveal Day #1: Naturally Inspired SOA

Simply the Best 2

Early Preview of Stamp of Approval

View More: http://em-grey.pass.us/catherine-pooler-august-2016-em-grey-photography-raleigh-nc

SOA Sneak Peeks and Facebook Live!

SOAGDcollage

Stamp of Approval Guest Design Team!

Happy-Birthday-Cake-Card-by-Taheerah-Atchia-001