Do you need to use a powder tool for Heat Embossing?

heat embossing

I’ve heard some debate as to whether you need to use a Deactivator Tool or an Embossing Buddy to remove the static from your cardstock when using WOW Embossing Powder.

I decided to experiment and check it out for myself.  View the video to see what my results were!

So you saw first hand what my experience was.  I did not try out White EP on Black Cardstock (SORRY!), but I’d probably get simliar results.

I do think heat and humidity may factor into YOUR experience and you may not get exactly the same results that I did.

On my Die Storage Solutions video,  Beau DeLeon says:

“I talked to a couple of girls who work directly with WOW! and they told me that yes it does have the anti-static agent in them but depending on the weather in your location can still need some powder.  I live in South Dakota and this time of year we get about 90% humidity.  I have had to use it on the darker powders especially.  However, on the white and clear, if I use the powder tool, it counteracts with the anti-static agent that is already in the product and so the powder gets everywhere lol.  I don’t know, I just use it on the darker or opaque and it seems to work a little better with those.”

I hope this video was helpful – leave me a comment and tell me what experience you have had and if you use an anti-static tool.

• Jean Bullock January 19, 2015, 11:51 pm

I couldn’t find a powder tool at any of my local craft stores, so I googled and found a video tutorial on how to make your own using knee hi’s . It works fine. Sometimes I can still see very tiny specks. I guess most people wouldn’t notice them but I do. I haven’t used a commercial tool so I don’t know if that is any better. I think that some of the specks may be impurities from constantly putting the powder back into the container. The powder may not work on them perhaps because they may be heavier than the powder. I know that sometimes fibers get into the powder. Probably from my die cuts. The specks and fibers can sometimes mess up the embossing. Would love to have a fine mesh tool to strain those impurities out of the powder.

• Carol January 20, 2015, 4:57 pm

I have used your suggestion with the powder for a year or so and I am very happy with the results. I have not tried WOW tho. Thank you for sharing this information.

• auntbubbels January 20, 2015, 5:41 pm

I am always forgetting to use my deactivator and I see a big difference when I don’t use. I have many brands of embossing powders so I don’t know which ones work well with/without the activator.

As a rule of thumb, I try using it all the time (when I remember).

• Sharon January 20, 2015, 8:05 pm

I always use deactivator.

• Amy January 21, 2015, 1:33 am

I live in South Carolina so no matter what time of year it is always humid here. I’ve found that when you are embossing it is not only the weather that makes the difference, but the cardstock you are using also can effect the end result also. And bad cardstock and bad weather together just makes a mess. Don’t ask me how I know. Lol.

• Jane Schroeder January 30, 2015, 11:22 pm

You didn’t use the heating tool when using the embossing powders. Don’t you need to do that?

• Catherine January 31, 2015, 9:34 am

Hi Jane! Sorry, I did it off camera…I apologize for the confusion!

• Debbie Bonczek February 3, 2015, 12:42 am

Very helpful! I love the powder tool.

• Sharon Salerno March 9, 2015, 10:25 pm

I usually forget to use the powder and for the most part I have not had a problem. Could be that since I live in Colorado where humidity is low most of the year. I just did some embossing today and did not use the deactivator and it turned out great.

• Gail O May 4, 2015, 3:38 pm

I would point out that the EK Success Powder Tool may/does work well but it has a big problem for us crafters with allergies – it has highly scented powder that triggers an allergy attack for me every time I have to use it. I like the design and since it is refillable I am going to dump the powder and go to cornstarch or unscented powder. Wish I had been told about the highly scented powder before I bought it because I would not have bought it!

Gallery Projects Stampers' Q&A Tool Tips

Kristieswoop

White and Black Popped Sentiment Focal Point with Kristie Goulet

Stamp of Approval Project guide

Who’s looking for inspiration?

Winterhaven-Stamp-of-Approval-Joy-Wreath-Feature-Image

Pink Snowflake Joy and WINNERS!

SOA Winterhaven Joy Chalkboard 2

Blog Hop Day 3: Chalkboard Holiday Cards and Watercolored Wreath

SOA Winterhaven Joy wreath 2

Blog Hop Day 2: Tis the Season Wreath Card and Faux Metal Accents

SOA Winterhaven Tags 2

Winterhaven Stamp of Approval Collection Blog Hop Day 1: Good Stuff Tags

SOA Winterhaven carolers 2

Winterhaven Stamp of Approval Preview Day 2: Here We Come A-Caroling

SOA Winterhaven Watercolor Poinsettia

Winterhaven Stamp of Approval Preview Day 1: Tis the Season and Here We Come A Caroling Stamp Sets

View More: http://em-grey.pass.us/catherine-pooler-august-2016-em-grey-photography-raleigh-nc

Card Making Goodness is out of control! (in a very, very good way)

wcmd2017_blogfb (1)

World Card Making Day Sponsors

WCMDcollage

Our World Card Making Day Weekend begins on Friday!

Multi-Step Stamping and Angled Card Front 4

Multi-Step Stamping, Tone on Tone Stenciling and Angled Card Fronts

SOA-CPBlogPost

Clean & Graphic Leaf Motifs with Maureen

Congrats with Arjita Singh

Creating a Winter Sunset Scene

Creating a Winter Sunset Scene Tutorial at StampNation

Hello Clean and Simple

Fun and Fabulous Items Coming to the Shop!