How to make Whipped Body Butter: Easy DIY video tutorial

Screen Shot 2014-12-11 at 2.13.22 PM

Yep, this is a Rubber Stamping and Paper Crafting blog, but today we are expanding our crafty horizons to make Homemade Whipped Body Butter!  The paper crafting ties in on the second video…promise!

I wasn’t looking for a new hobby, but I think I found one.  And I blame my friend, Rachel Pontillo from Holistically Haute, for this entirely!

Rachel and I decided to team up because she makes pretty things in jars and I make pretty things to decorate those jars.

Sounds like a match made in heaven, right?

I dipped my toe in with her Body Butter recipe here.

I did make some adjustments to it, however.  Since I’m such a newbie, and I wasn’t sure I would like making this stuff, I wanted something a bit more simple (read:  less expensive!).

My first batch was made with:

• Shea Butter
  • a small amount of Jojoba Oil (maybe two dropperfuls)
  • Sweet Orange Essential Oil
  • Pure Vanilla Extract

This batch turned out fine, but it smelled a bit too much like Shea Butter to me (I don’t love that smell…nutty-ish).  Rachel told me to melt it down and add more essential oils.  I did, and it turned out smelling much better!

The next batch I made…well, view the video to see how that all turned out…

This batch came out much more smooth and creamy and wow!  I love it!

• 1/2 cup of Shea Butter
  • 1/4 cup of Coconut Oil
  • 1/4 cup of Jojoba Oil
  • lots of shakes of Cinnamon and Orange Essential Oils

The Coconut Oil that I used here came from the grocery store and it doesn’t smell that great (how weird is that!?).

I thought it was supposed to be that way…but yesterday I stopped at Whole Foods, filled up my cart with essential oils and a whole bunch of other stuff (I’ve caught the bug, y’all!) including Coconut Oil.

coconut oil

This is the Whole Foods store brand Coconut Oil and oh, my friend!  It SMELLS like Coconut!  Much better than that other stuff.

At room temperature (about 68 degrees), the Shea Butter is solid, but not hard.

Coconut Oil is firm and softer than the Shea Butter and the Jojoba Oil is obviously (if you viewed the video) liquid.

My newbie advice is if you want a softer, creamier Body Butter, use a mix of softer or liquid oils.  If you want something firmer, go heavier on the Shea Butter.

BTW- Cocoa Butter and Mango Butter are both on the way to me right now, I’ll let you know how I like them!

soooo…we have some amazing Homemade Whipped Body Butter and we are ready to spread our love around the world, giving this to friends and family.  But wait!  Cuteness needs to be taken up a couple notches.

Let’s see how to do this quickly, easily and with just a few supplies:

Body Butter tags 2

I am absolutely loving this new hobby.  This Whipped Body Butter is all-natural…I mean, think about it!  Our skin is the largest organ in our body.  Anything we put on it gets absorbed into our blood stream.  Would you EAT your current hand cream?

create your skincare If you want to learn more from Rachel, she has this fabulous online course right now, Create Your Skincare for the Holidays.

I’m taking it now and pretty much everyone on my list is getting handmade skin care this year.  Subscribe here!

Body Butter tags

Leave me a comment and let me know what you think.  This is a PAPER CRAFTING blog, but many of you are crafty with other things.

Is this something you are excited about seeing and do you want to see more?  And more of what?

More DIY gift items?  More homemade skin care products?  Food gift items?  Or are you thinking, “Lady!  Stick to the paper crafting and handmade cards!!!”  ???

Here are products I used, or other suggestions so that you have a bit of variety in choosing…I added a bunch of different tag dies for you!

• Rachael Pontillo December 11, 2014, 6:20 pm

Yay! I’m so glad you posted about this–and I love that you shared about paring down the recipes. You don’t need complicated recipes OR a huge budget to make fabulous handmade skincare products–if you see a recipe that looks overwhelming to you, it’s so easy to make substitutions for less expensive ingredients in the same ingredient categories and you can use fewer essential oils (I listed maybe four in the original recipe but one or two will do you just fine!). Awesome post and thanks for being an awesome student!

• Brooke December 11, 2014, 8:21 pm

I love that you changed it up a bit and made a body butter video tutorial! I love being crafty with other things besides making cards, as well! I’ll definitely have to try this sometime! Thanks for sharing! I absolutely love your blog!!

• Barbara M. December 11, 2014, 10:41 pm

I hope I have time to make some of this for Christmas Gifts! It sounds wonderful!! Thanks for sharing and explaining it in detail. Always enjoy your videos, ideas, tips and techniques. Wishing you and yours a wonderful Holiday.

• Fran W December 11, 2014, 11:35 pm

Bring it on Catherine. I enjoy DIY of any kind and am always looking for different handmade gifts for friends and family. I use only natural soaps and skin care products and will be trying this for sure!
    Thanks!!!

• Julie Pike December 12, 2014, 2:03 am

Wonderful!! I love DIY projects almost as much as card making and I know I’m not alone. I use my paper crafting tools to dress up jars of homemade jelly, jam, salsa and peaches. Christmas means batches of nuts and bolts and shortbread need to be packaged up for gifts and again my paper crafting skills come in handy. This year I’m adding Candied Pecans to the list (making my first batch tomorrow….. wish me luck!) and it would be great to see some ways to make the packages look extra special.

• Laura Miller December 12, 2014, 7:57 am

Wow – – how do you squeeze all this into your day (and keep your house clean!)
    Fun, new hobby.

• Debbie Flattum December 12, 2014, 12:56 pm

Thanks for sharing this. I love that you are incorporating gift ideas with your papercrafting. Bring it on!! ;-)

• Sandy December 13, 2014, 4:37 pm

I am glad you did this video. I am going to try it after the first of the year. We all need more moisturizer in the winter! I’d like to see more of these DIY ideas.

• janet gillen December 14, 2014, 3:11 pm

do I need another hobby!!!!

• heather December 23, 2014, 7:22 pm

I really liked this combo of stamping and craft ideas. . I often combine my stamping wiht my crafts for gifts and presents

• Yvette February 19, 2015, 1:33 pm

Thank you for so much creative information. I am super happy that you are making natural beauty product videos. Like you, I also got this bug!! Keep up the great work!!

Gallery Projects Videos

RainbowButterflies

Butterfly Rainbow with the Rock and Roll Technique!

View More: http://em-grey.pass.us/catherine-pooler-october-2016-em-grey-photography-raleigh-nc

Best Practices for the Midnight Ink Pad

Alana and Petey

The “Petey” Experience

Spring Sale

More Creativation Favorites

Perfect Banners 7

CP’s Favorite Things from Creativation!

Creativation

Straight from Creativation

Embossing Paste and Stencils 2

Embossing Paste with Stencils with The Perfect Reason SOA

Second Generation Stamping with The Perfect Reason Collection YT

Second Generation (and ombre!) Stamping with The Perfect Reason

CASEing Allison and CP 3

Creating a Clean and Simple Card – CASEing with The Perfect Reason SOA!

This Week at StampNation…

Using Dies as Stencils Catherine Pooler

Using Dies as Stencils with The Perfect Reason SOA

Eva and Catherine Valentine's Day Card 2

The Cutest Video Hop Ever – Valentine’s Day Card by Eva

PerfectReason_Instagram_AvailableNow

The Perfect Reason SOA Winners!

31925642823_b0b86fde71_z

The Perfect Reason SOA is now available!

ProjectGuide