How to Ink a Stamp: Q&A with Catherine Pooler

A quick video to show you my “technique” for inking a stamp (rubber or photopolymer) to get a great stamped image!

If you like this video, be sure to check out my Youtube Channel for more videos like this.

Thanks for being here!  CP

• Shona Chambers October 20, 2014, 6:33 pm

Hi Catherine, that was a fantastic tutorial. I wondered if you might be able to do the same for inking with pigment ink?? Sometimes when I push my stamp on my pigment ink pads, it looks covered but when its stamped the colour is darker on one side than the other. Do you have any tips??? Thanks so much!

• janet gillen October 20, 2014, 7:05 pm

Great video – That happens to me sometimes and I thought it was because of the clear stamp and not the way that I was inking it.

• Wilma Knobloch October 20, 2014, 7:20 pm

You answered alot of questions/ solutions to past problems to an “old” stamper like me. Thanks for the video.

• doreen October 20, 2014, 8:27 pm

great video. thanks

• Martha Lee October 20, 2014, 11:16 pm

I appreciate your video on inking a stamp. It seems so simple that no one ever addresses it. I have a problem keeping the ink off the stamp base. If I tap lightly, it doesnt ink well. What am I doing wrong?

• Sherry in MI October 21, 2014, 1:52 am

Great video. Answers my question about getting “half an image”. I’ll definitely try the “twist and shout” method the next time I use one of the old SU ink pads. Thanks!

• lynda veazie October 21, 2014, 4:23 am

i would love to learn this the right way. Thank you for the chance.
    Lynda VZ

• Pamela October 21, 2014, 6:48 am

Hi Catherine

Must admit a couple of my stamp pads are the harder felt type they do have a slight indentation in the centre so I have to do the same twist and turn to get a good coverage but it certainly explains it to some stampers that are curious or newbies, a good question and answer to do on your video. Have a great day.

Pamela from the UK

• Pam October 21, 2014, 8:34 am

Love your videos Catherine! And you’re such a cool looking lady! I’m new to stamping, and find that when I ink word stamps, I have real problems. If I push down too hard, I always have to clean off the edges. Too soft, and not enough color. What to do? Help, please!

• Vikk L. October 21, 2014, 9:09 am

Great as usual, the stamping technique was something everyone needs to see, thanks so much for this tip.

• jean schmidt October 21, 2014, 9:49 am

Very helpful tip. Thank You!

• Sharon October 21, 2014, 10:00 am

Thank you for sharing your knowledge! I did not know that and now I am wondering would you use that same technique with a more patterned stamp as well??

• Catherine October 21, 2014, 10:08 am

Thank you so much for your comments! I’m so glad you found this helpful!

Sharon, yes, I would use the same method….before stamping, you will want to pounce up and down to get an even coating without the swirls or brush marks. Hope that helps!

• Gertrude October 21, 2014, 5:40 pm

It’s Oct. 21st and I already have 27 Christmas cards ready to print my verses or messages inside, all different designs. I’m determined to be EARLY this year!!!

• CONNIE B October 23, 2014, 11:03 pm

FOR A CRISP STAMPED IMAGE EVERYTIME, USE A STAMP MAT. I USE SIZZIX’s CALLED THE SECRET WEAPON DESIGNED BY STEPHANIE BARNARD. Some folks also use a mouse pad, several layers of foam. But you need something. Go,to,SIZZIX and read why the stmping mat works. Its $12.99. Please note: i do NOT work for Sizzix or SOL or Stephanie Barnard. Im just an everyday stamper who looked for a reason why images werent stamping crisp. After researching this, I found my secret weapon. IT WORKS!!!!!

• Judy Prados October 30, 2014, 12:55 am

Thank you for the video on how to ink your stamp correctly. I thought it was really helpful. I always enjoy the projects you do.

• Shirley January 3, 2015, 6:47 pm

Thanks, I was having a problem and you solved it for me.

• Mary Lou January 28, 2015, 3:07 pm

Thanks for the tip on using SU pads. Well worth the 2minutes of a nubes time. Its what every new stamper needs to know.

• carol swinconos February 12, 2015, 5:40 am

Thanks for the Tip!! Now I will get better stamped images!!

• Sandra Gibbs July 26, 2015, 2:06 pm

After many uses, my clear stamps don’t stick to the clear stamping blocks. how do you recommend resticking them?

• Catherine July 27, 2015, 10:10 am

Try rinsing them with water. That will remove any of the stuff that’s gotten on them that has made them not sticky! HTH!

• Sheryl August 3, 2015, 11:37 am

Thanks.. great tutorial….really helpful. I will try this technique today.

Gallery Stampers' Q&A Videos

Congrats with Arjita Singh

Creating a Winter Sunset Scene

Creating a Winter Sunset Scene Tutorial at StampNation

Hello Clean and Simple

Fun and Fabulous Items Coming to the Shop!

Soft Stenciling with Heather

It’s Our Birthday!

Thoughts_detail

Negative Die Cutting with the Perfect Vine Die with Chrissie Tobas

PartialStenciling

Partial Stenciling with Maureen Merritt

winners

Winners for the Stamp of Approval Blog Hops!

Counting Blessings Fallen Leaves1

Counting Blessings Stamp of Approval Blog Hop Day 3: Stencil and Watercolored Backgrounds

Fallen Leaves 4