KISS Card with the Spice Market Background Stamp and Distress Inks

Screen Shot 2014-07-28 at 2.44.57 PM

Today’s KISS Card (Keep It Simple Stamper) just screams “BATIK” to me!  That’s what I thought as I was editing these photos.

I did a good ole google search to see what Batik showed up as and yep!  It looks like these cards!  Check out this image to the left.

This look is super easy to achieve.  View the video to see for yourself!

When I was finished filming this video, I did NOT stop stamping.

Stay tuned…there’s more where this came from and I will show you in the coming week how to use this background stamp to achieve a cool look using an aquapainter and also how I got inspired from chillin’ out in Eva’s bed!

kiss card spice

Would you like to see more KISS Cards?

Click here, I’ve been running this series for almost two years now, so there’s lots of inspiration waiting for you!

kiss card spice2

kiss card spice3

kiss card spice4

• Mary R. July 28, 2014, 6:55 pm

I agree, I like the white embossing powder a little more than the clear.
    I really like the cool “tie dye” effect you achieved with the distress ink.

• Jackie July 28, 2014, 6:55 pm

You are right the white powder makes the colors stand out more.
    Love these batik looking backgrounds!
    Looking forward to seeing more.
    Can I use the Stampin’!Up inks to make this background?
    Thanks for sharing your ideas and cards.

• Debbie T July 28, 2014, 7:14 pm

This is one of my favorite tutorials EVER. I’ve fallen in love with Distress Inks. (Of course I blame you for that) I’m partial to the white too, all the colors of ink are just beautiful together. I can’t wait to try this. Thanks CP.

• Alanna July 28, 2014, 7:43 pm

These are all so gore. What a great technique. My favorite is probably the third one but it was a close call.

• Regina July 29, 2014, 11:07 am

I liked the one with the pinks and yellows and the clear embossing the best. I think it is the color choice more then the color of embossing powder that stands out. They are all very pretty and I want to try this. Thanks for all your great ideas.

• deborah345 July 29, 2014, 9:19 pm

Yes the white embossing powder gives more contrast. Love this technique.

• Linda H July 29, 2014, 10:52 pm

I think these are all gorgeous, but I do favor the white embossing. The intricate design of the stamp shows through a bit better. Thanks for sharing your creativity!

• Laura Capote July 29, 2014, 11:31 pm

I love this technique. I use it very often and I always use white embossing powder.
    I think it makes the image stand out more. All of your cards are pretty!

• MaryRedford July 30, 2014, 1:43 pm

I really like the white the colors show up more than the clear
    I love the red one the most,

• Sharon July 30, 2014, 1:49 pm

BEAUTIFUL! I like the white.

• Martina July 30, 2014, 1:53 pm

The white emboss is much more beautiful with the defined lines. Each one has a unique batik look too.

Are you working off of a clear working mat?

I wonder what water colour paper would do?

• Pat July 30, 2014, 2:04 pm

Fabulous!! I like the white embossing powder the best

• Natalie Alberici July 30, 2014, 2:11 pm

Loved the simplicity and beauty of this technique. My vote is for the white embossing powder.

• Sandy K July 30, 2014, 2:16 pm

I have to agree with the rest I like the white one better. This great. I’m going to try it soon. I , too, would like to know if Stampin’ Up! ink pads would work as well?

• Diana W. July 30, 2014, 2:22 pm

Lovely cards. Can’t select a favorite. All of them are wonderful. Thanks for the great ideas. You rock, girl!

• Liz Bailey July 30, 2014, 2:41 pm

I really love the white embossing and I’ve been meaning to try something like thing for a long time, you’ve given me the motivation. I love these cards, but I think the stamp is really going to make it top notch! Thanks

• Lynvass July 30, 2014, 3:03 pm

They all look Great, I agree I like the white embossing powder a little more than the clear though

• carole tiep July 30, 2014, 3:13 pm

The white embossing seems to be a winner. I also like the white best, however I am off to the studio to try this technique with black embossing powder. Loved the idea, thanks

• artlvr July 30, 2014, 3:22 pm

My fave is #3, and I agree with most the white definitely helps the pattern stand out and looks fabulous! Thanks!!!

• Georgia Peach July 30, 2014, 3:45 pm

Hi Catherine, Gr8 technique I love the white powder the best, to me it pops better.
    Thanks for sharing

• Pamela Hecht July 30, 2014, 4:42 pm

LOVE the look of them both BUT the white embossing sure stands out on this design !

THANKS for sharing with us all…….so appreciate you !

• Sheryl L July 30, 2014, 4:49 pm

When I use distress inks with water, I just dry them a little and, leaving some dampness, I place them between wax paper and then under some heavy books, they come out perfectly flat. Finish them up the next day or even a couple of hours later.

• Carol Brooks July 30, 2014, 5:49 pm

what is the product that you put on the cards, I think you said an embossing tool and where can I purchase it

• Rob Keogh July 30, 2014, 6:12 pm

I do prefer the white embossing powder but I think that it’s partly because the colours are bolder on this one. They are all beautiful, thank you.

• Wilma Knobloch July 30, 2014, 6:46 pm

I too, like the white embossing powder best with the colors. They are so vivid and beautiful. Need to get those colors.

• stamping sue July 30, 2014, 7:13 pm

I do like the way the white embossing pops but like the blue/purple color scheme better.
    stamping sue

• Brenda (LadyofCards) July 30, 2014, 7:29 pm

The white embossing stands out more but it is hard to pick a fav. Thanks for sharing.

• Theresa Cooper July 30, 2014, 7:33 pm

I think I like the white better.

• Mary Ann Huntington July 30, 2014, 8:04 pm

I really like the 2nd one the best. It seems to make the ink pop clearer. Yes, I’d love to see more KISS techniques.

• Arlene A. Hawbaker July 30, 2014, 8:52 pm

I really like the white embossing powder better than the clear. I will make a bunch of these cards to have on hand. Thank you for the great idea Catherine. I do enjoy all your little videos.

• Yvonne Cassady July 30, 2014, 9:09 pm

White cardstock certainly stands out much better.

• jude July 31, 2014, 7:06 am

GREAT cards! Thanks for the video “how-to”. Can not wait to get to my playroom & try this.

• Lorraine Schwartz July 31, 2014, 9:45 am

i like the white, but hey they are all great than you Kathrine for sharing your ideas, i really enjoy them. i just wish I could get the cuttlebug and equipment that you use here in Cape Town. Thanks again God bless

• DianaLew July 31, 2014, 11:43 am

I really like the white one better. Awesome tutorial, as always, thanks for sharing…

• Marilyn Pool July 31, 2014, 3:58 pm

I really like the one that was done with the white embossing powder, The design stands out much better than the others.

• Christine B. July 31, 2014, 5:21 pm

Love these KISS cards! The white stands out better, but both versions are GORGEOUS!!! Thanks for all your inspiration! <3

• Nancee Purdum July 31, 2014, 9:48 pm

I like the white embossing better. It really makes the pattern pop. :)

• Christie Andreson August 1, 2014, 12:16 am

I love both looks but I think I like the white one better as it POPS more.

• Vicki Smith August 1, 2014, 1:13 pm

Love the KISS cards and love your videos. My favorite is the white embossing powder card. The colors are great on these cards.

• Joan M. August 1, 2014, 9:29 pm

My favorite was the white embossing, but they are all very pretty ! Very clever technique !

• Sally Eidson August 3, 2014, 3:02 am

Like the white embossed the best~ Gee, I’ve really lost out as there’s so much used that isn’t SU. Really like that the large stamp, small stamp, and the colors~

Birthday Card Making Embossing Gallery KISS Cards Projects Techniques Videos

Interesting Image

Kaleidescope

Wild & Wonderful Product Release Day! Blog Hop Day 1

hand made thank you card

Wild & Wonderful Product Release and New Ink Colors!

wonderful wildflowers card 2

Wild & Wonderful Product Release Sneak Peek!

5A9EB82A-1746-49E3-81D9-CA7097FB5E93

Layering Border Die Cuts on Hand Made Cards

Multi inking 2

Inking with Multiple Colors on One Stamp

Punctuated Party 25

Four cards with one stamp set! with Celebrate Friends Stamp of Approval

Celebrate

Time to Celebrate with the Stamp of Approval Collection!

I Eat Cake4