Colored Ice Orbs – Snow Day! activity to do with the kids

How is it in your neck of the woods?  Since I have world-wide blog readers, it’s pretty neat to hear about the different weather situations around the world.  Our Aussie friends have been talking about a heat wave, our Canadian friends have -17 degrees and here in Raleigh, NC we have had a rare snow week

Colored Ice Orbs

Since we don’t get snow often, we don’t have snow plows here in the South.  So, when it snows, you better be where you want to be for the next couple of days!  You see when it snows, it melts during the day, it gets cold at night, freezes, and the buses can’t get to all the kids, so school is closed for days on end…and that’s what we’ve had this week!  Today is day #3.

What has occupied us?  Making Colored Ice Orbs!

(click the title of this post to view on my blog if you are getting this post in your email)

The snow came…
Colored Ice Orbs

The colored water froze…well, mostly froze!

Colored Ice Orbs

The kids had a ball taking the balloons off to reveal the most awesome colored ice orbs ever!

Colored Ice Orbs

Thanks to Debbie and Kristie from StampNation for sharing this idea with us!

Colored Ice Orbs

• Kristie January 30, 2014, 5:12 pm

Aren’t they so much fun??!!! LOVE them. Thanks for sharing.

• Karen January 30, 2014, 6:24 pm

Very cool! What I most liked was the comments made by the girls. They were really into it.

• Karen January 30, 2014, 6:25 pm

Very Cool! What I liked most was the comments by the girls. They were really into it.

• Barbara January 30, 2014, 6:57 pm

Wow Catherine them orbs look soooo much fun will have to try them here in the uk with the grandchildren thanks for sharing with your family :-))

• NanaMary January 30, 2014, 10:11 pm

Loved the video, Catherine! My granddaughter (12) and I watched it together before we went to my stamping room! When your orbs wouldn’t freeze solidly, Lydia said, (first) “Why doesn’t she put them in her freezer?” and (second) she wouldn’t have that problem here!” We live in SE North Dakota and have been in a cold snap for so long I don’t think I will ever be warm again! We had wind chills of -60 F recently. Not a ton of snow…..much less than normal for us, but terribly cold. Yesterday was a heat wave. It got up to +27 F but the wind was so strong it felt like zero!! I’ve wanted to make ice candles for years, but don’t think of it until too late, usually. This video made me think of it! If I do it, I’ll post a photo! Thanks for the video! I was raised in New Jersey so I know this is not common weather for you! Sounds like spring for us!!

• Judy Perrault January 31, 2014, 2:00 am

Such a cute video! I grew up in Minnesota, & remember the cold none-too-fondly (– which is why I now live in Hawaii.) But we never thought to make ice orbs. Snow days off from school were an unexpected joy – this would have added to the fun. Just a thought re: their not freezing as fast as expected. Maybe the food has something that lowers the freezing temp — like alcohol, though since you were using paste colors, that may not have been a factor Another possibility – the rubber of the balloon may have acted as an insulator (which is why SCUBA wet suits are made out of neoprene.) Do I sense a science project?? comparing freezing time of balloons without coloring to those with coloring, and comparing the time in the two different types of balloons, (those meant as water balloons are probably thicker rubber), and comparing with the freezing of the same amount of water in a comparably-sized/shaped open container that would give a comparable size/density of the orb. Just a thought — Judy P.

• Heather North January 31, 2014, 3:31 am

This is such a neat idea! Thanks for sharing your experience with us. I love seeing you playing with your girls. :)

• Vicki January 31, 2014, 9:29 am

Dear Catherine,

How Fun and Precious is this video! All your Girls are Beautiful and having fun with Mom! Never heard of Ice Orbs! Probably because it never snows here. It doesn’t really get cold here. Once in awhile, it might get to low 40*..that’s it. We hardly ever turn on the heater, in the house on, we go upstairs where it’s comfortable…and that works for us!.
    I know we save, not having the heater..on…but our Electric (Air Conditioning) bill… is a whopper! Can’t be without the Air! More on Family time…I Love it!!

Family Stuff Gallery Projects Videos

Interesting Image

Chrissie Tobas Sending Love

Reverse Masking with Chrissie

youmalkemesmile

You Make Me Smile with Kristie and WINNERS!

BCSD Class collage

Birthday Cards for the year – DONE!

Faithful Flutterings and Stained Glass coverplate

Zen Garden Release Day 4: Stained Glass Coverplate and Faithful Flutterings

Eat Sleep Create and Chevron Cheer

Zen Garden Release Blog Hop Day 3: Eat, Sleep, Create Stamps and Dies

Love Grows 4

Zen Garden Blog Hop Day 2: Love Grows Stamp Set and Dies

Chevron Cheer

Zen Garden Release Blog Hop Day 1

Emboss Resist Save the Youtuber 3

Emboss Resist Technique – Save the YouTuber Blog Hop!

2018-01-26 14.01.01-1

Zen Garden is COMING! and product preview

KristieCPblog

A Colorful World Awaits with Kristie

Ink+Blended+Note+Cards+w-+Catherine+Pooler+Love+Is+In+The+Air+Stamp+of+Approval-1

Blended Note Cards with Cynde

SOA Jan Balloon Shaker Jenny Colacicco A

Shaker Card with Jenny Colacicco

Ink Blended Stamp Happy Birthday Card

Happy Birthday Hand Made Card with Ink Blending ON the Stamp!

IMG-4267

XOX Background with Ashlea Cornell

Love is in the AIR SOA Tracie Pond The World Awaits Bon Voyage

The World Awaits with Tracie Pond

Creativation - The People

Creativation Wrap-up and Video Tours of the Booth!