Never Give Up and a dance story…

James Cook Photography

This fall, my youngest daughter started jazz company at the dance studio.  Each year head shots of the company dancers are put up in the studio.  When the day came around to take those head shots, Eva wasn’t able to have her photo taken because she was participating in a service project for Y Princess.   We were told there would be a make up for the head shots.

Eva is a very persistent child and asked me constantly when the make ups would be.

Well, after a very exhausting World Card Making Day weekend, I realized a day too late that the make up head shots were on Sunday!!!!!  I completely forgot….

I emailed the studio to ask what I could do and they pretty much said too bad, so sad.

I was in a panic!  I usually say, “oh, the problems of first world children…they’ll be fine”.  There are much worse things in the world.  Right?

But I know Eva. This was important to her and it was MY fault that she missed it.

I KNEW she would be devestated seeing the entire company – minus her – on the wall.

Once I was turned down by the studio, I decided I would go straight to the photographer.

I gave him a call and he surprised me by saying he would be glad to make it up for her, gave me a few options on dates and times, then hit me with a proposal.
I could pay the sitting fee…OR…he could take photos of both of the girls –  he needs photos of dancers for his portfolio and website.

ARE YOU KIDDING ME??????

James Cook Photography

Holy cow! Not only did I solve my problem, but he’s going to take really cool photos of both girls??? and they will be on his website??? and possibly in the studio’s program as an ad????  WOW!  Not taking NO for an answer really paid off!

When I told the girls, they were thrilled.

When I told the girls the story, I started with how I messed up, then hit them with the lesson…don’t give up and don’t take no for an answer!

I also thought it was pretty cool that the photographer saw an opportunity and grabbed it.  What a great quality in a business person.  Many opportunities come our way and it’s important to recognize them and grab them when they do.

James Cook Photography

James Cook came to the house, set up a make shift studio and spent about 1 – 1/2 hours with the girls.  He did an amazing job.  The girls felt comfortable and part of his creativity.  It was such a fun afternoon that I know the girls will remember.

James Cook Photography

He sent me a few photos…these are a few of my favorites….

A10

James Cook Photography

You can see more of his work and a few more of the girls on his website here.

This is definitely a scrapbook-worthy story!  Thanks for letting me share it.

James Cook Photography

• Joy Jones October 13, 2013, 6:15 pm

Awesome story and outcome!!! The pictures qre too gorgeous for words!!!!!

• Paulette Habbit October 13, 2013, 8:36 pm

How beautiful and what a great lesson.

• Jeanne October 13, 2013, 9:26 pm

I love it when things work out ! It was meant to be! Thanks for sharing. Great memories and lessons for your beautiful daughters that they will never forget!

• Kristie October 13, 2013, 10:01 pm

The pictures came out amazing! Thank you for sharing this story. :)

• Maureen Merritt October 14, 2013, 6:07 am

The photos are amazing Catherine! I bet the girls had a blast. What beautiful, precious little girls. xo

• Lynn October 14, 2013, 8:35 am

Great pictures .. and , yes , a great lesson on ” don’t give up ” .

• Pat Gasko October 14, 2013, 9:03 am

Awsome photos and a great story with a wonderful lesson. I told my kids the same thing I was told “It’s better to do something right, wrong or indifferent than to do nothing at all”.

• Vicki October 15, 2013, 3:33 am

Hi Catherine,

How PRECIOUS are those Girls!!!!
    Glad the outcome came through!
    Thanks for Sharing!

• Linda Parker October 15, 2013, 3:46 pm

Your daughters are striking in their grace and beauty. Smart photographer!!

• Jannette October 16, 2013, 12:39 am

Love the story! and the photos!

• Janet Swofford October 16, 2013, 2:14 pm

Wow! These photographs take my breath away! So beautiful :-)
    And don’t you just love those teachable moments!

• Dorothy C. October 16, 2013, 3:19 pm

Great story! The photographs are beautifully breathtaking! I love the last picture you posted. The criss cross back of her leotard is one I hadn’t seen before.

Family Stuff Gallery Projects

Stamp of Approval Project guide

Who’s looking for inspiration?

Winterhaven-Stamp-of-Approval-Joy-Wreath-Feature-Image

Pink Snowflake Joy and WINNERS!

SOA Winterhaven Joy Chalkboard 2

Blog Hop Day 3: Chalkboard Holiday Cards and Watercolored Wreath

SOA Winterhaven Joy wreath 2

Blog Hop Day 2: Tis the Season Wreath Card and Faux Metal Accents

SOA Winterhaven Tags 2

Winterhaven Stamp of Approval Collection Blog Hop Day 1: Good Stuff Tags

SOA Winterhaven carolers 2

Winterhaven Stamp of Approval Preview Day 2: Here We Come A-Caroling

SOA Winterhaven Watercolor Poinsettia

Winterhaven Stamp of Approval Preview Day 1: Tis the Season and Here We Come A Caroling Stamp Sets

View More: http://em-grey.pass.us/catherine-pooler-august-2016-em-grey-photography-raleigh-nc

Card Making Goodness is out of control! (in a very, very good way)

wcmd2017_blogfb (1)

World Card Making Day Sponsors

WCMDcollage

Our World Card Making Day Weekend begins on Friday!

Multi-Step Stamping and Angled Card Front 4

Multi-Step Stamping, Tone on Tone Stenciling and Angled Card Fronts

SOA-CPBlogPost

Clean & Graphic Leaf Motifs with Maureen

Congrats with Arjita Singh

Creating a Winter Sunset Scene

Creating a Winter Sunset Scene Tutorial at StampNation

Hello Clean and Simple

Fun and Fabulous Items Coming to the Shop!

Soft Stenciling with Heather