Project Life and a confession

Project Life

I have a confession to make.

Since I released my book, Life Scraps, how to scrapbook your life through storytelling, last spring…gulp…ready?

I have not scrapbooked even one 12 x 12 layout.

There.  I said it.  It’s on the table.

There are a few reasons why.

1. I was a bit burned out.  I think I made about 70 scrapbook pages for that book.  Whew, that is a LOT of scrapbooking.  Since it takes me up to 2 – 3 hours to make a two page spread, I was a bit burned out.  That’s a lot of hours!
  2. Do I need to make more scrapbook pages?  All that time was worth it, because of HOW I was scrapbooking.  All 70+ of those pages told the stories of our life…those pages told about our personalities, traditions, values….so honestly, if I never made another page, it would be “okay” because I have created important pages. Pages that really mean something and get to the core of what our family is about.

Since I released the book, I have seen a huge change in the scrapbooking industry.  I am finding the trend is going more to, Smash Books and scrapbooks like what I have here with sleeves.

I ordered cards and pages from Project Life a few months ago and just really dove into it this weekend.

WOW!!!!!  PEEPS!  This was EASY!  I can still use my idea of TELLING THE STORY as I taught in my book, but instead of 2 -3 hours per page, I was cranking out page after page after page.  In 2 hours I think I did eight pages.

Project Life

For some of my spreads, I used the pre-printed journaling cards.

But because I am who I am (and that is crafty…) I HAD to do some of my own, as you can see here.  I used some of Stampin’ Up’s new Halloween Stamps and papers and the Gorgeous Grunge Stamp Set.  It really only took me a couple minutes to make up these journaling cards.

If you would like to learn more and get inspired to tell your family’s story, be sure to check out my book:  Life Scraps, how to scrapbook your life through storytelling

Leave me a comment…are you scrapbooking?  Are you doing the “traditional” 12 x 12 pages?  Journals?  Smash Books?  Project Life?  I’d love to know!   I’ll be sharing another page on my Facebook page, so be sure to hop over there and join in the conversation!

• Pitchoune57 August 26, 2013, 5:12 pm

lovely project life, I like vintage and I realise pages, cards…, bye from France

• Tink August 26, 2013, 7:52 pm

Catherine, this is the way I scrapbook. I did buy the project life pages because they were not varied enough for me. Instead, Stampin Up was offering 12×12 divided protector pages in many sleeve configurations. I made my own journal cards from SU supplies and stamps, including other brand stamps as well. I found that using those protector pages and later found protectors pages made by other companies very cost effective.

• Catherine August 26, 2013, 10:33 pm

Thank you for poppin gin here Pitchoune!

I’m so glad you have enjoyed the SU pages, Tink! It’s a really great way to scrapbook quickly and making your own journaling cards is a great way to add that personal touch.

• Maddie August 27, 2013, 5:28 am

I have a smash journal that I just use as a personal journal for me, and I also bought the clementine project life. I love the concept but haven’t managed to get it into an album yet! I have been doing 1-2 12×12 pages each week and have filled an album as of today. Am loving the creative aspect of it at the moment!

• Kim August 27, 2013, 10:46 am

I’m thinking about Project Life. I used to be a big scrapbooker. But now I find it overwhelming. I think Project Life would be great because it would take away some of the aspects that overwhelm me.

• Stephanie Wright August 27, 2013, 11:26 am

I first saw Project Life a few weeks ago and really like the look of it… can’t wait to get started after completing a mammoth project getting the last 3 years worth of photos printed!

• Sunshine August 28, 2013, 11:12 am

I am a traditional scrap-booker. I do some quick pages and some story pages. I do like my pages to tell what is happening. Some emotions, some traditions and lots of fun.

Family Stuff Gallery Projects Scrapbooking

Interesting Image

Kaleidescope

Wild & Wonderful Product Release Day! Blog Hop Day 1

hand made thank you card

Wild & Wonderful Product Release and New Ink Colors!

wonderful wildflowers card 2

Wild & Wonderful Product Release Sneak Peek!

5A9EB82A-1746-49E3-81D9-CA7097FB5E93

Layering Border Die Cuts on Hand Made Cards

Multi inking 2

Inking with Multiple Colors on One Stamp

Punctuated Party 25

Four cards with one stamp set! with Celebrate Friends Stamp of Approval

Celebrate

Time to Celebrate with the Stamp of Approval Collection!

I Eat Cake4