How to use border punches for card making

how to use border punches

If you are new to card making and rubber stamping, you may be wondering how to use Border Punches!  I love border punches because they add a wonderful accent to many card projects and are easy to use.

View the video to see how (if you are viewing this through a feed in your inbox, click the title of the blog post to view directly on my blog):

This card was easy to make…here are the steps!

• Adhere 4 x 5-1/4″ Wild Wasabi to 4-1/4 x 11″ white card stock base.
  • Stamp 3-1/2 x 4-3/4″ piece of white cardstock (or use a piece of patterned paper).  I got several shades of the same color by stamping my image several times before reinking.
  • Stamp greeting piece as shown in the video, tie ribbon around it and adhere to card.
  • Punch out butterfly, add rhinestone to the middle and adhere to card.

how to use border punches 2

Stampin’ Up Supplies (unless otherwise noted):

• Summer Silhouettes Stamp Set (Wood Mount: 132082,  Clear Mount: 126447)
  • Perfectly Penned Stamp Set (Wood Mount: 128703,  Clear Mount: 122892)
  • Cardstock: 100730 Whisper White, 108641 Wild Wasabi, 119686 Early Espresso
  • Ink:  126859 Raspberry Ripple, 126959 Wild Wasabi, 126974 Early Espresso
  • Accessories:  119246 Rhinestones, Leanna Butterfly Die (Simon Says Stamp), 126845 Raspberry Stitched Ribbon, 119882 Scallop Border Punch

If you would like to order any of these Stampin’ Up products, you can do so in my Online Store.  Be sure my name is in the upper right hand corner of the store all the way through to check out to ensure you are ordering from me.  Thank you! :)

how to use border punches 3

Hope you enjoyed today’s project!  If you would like more tips like this, be sure you have subscribed to my newsletter so you can get my exclusive video series:

The top 10 things every stamper needs to know!

View the first video in the series here, then subscribe to recieve the additional three videos in the series.

Interested in taking your stamping to the next level?  Join us as a member at StampNation.  Visit the site to learn more and I hope to see you there!

• Kristie August 2, 2013, 12:10 pm

Great card! I love these colors together and also how you left half of the butterfly full and the other half with the punched out pieces.

• Bridget Trefethen August 2, 2013, 2:36 pm

I really like your card! I’m sure you will get a lot of comments about the butterfly punch/die. It is gorgeous!

As to the question about how many border punches do I have, the short answer is: “Too many.” I have most of the ones Stampin’ Up has had in the last 4 years, except the one you used in your video! That and the new chevron are the only borders I don’t have from Stampin’ Up. I also have quite a few others from EK Success including a beach one that has a sand castle and a pail and shovel. I really want to use that one with a sea shell stamp set, but haven’t done it yet.

Thank you for your great videos! I enjoy your website!

• Carolina August 2, 2013, 2:40 pm

Love this card! What a beautiful butterfly die.

• barb mann August 3, 2013, 11:55 am

Greqt! beautiful card and very good & informative video! Love the colors in your project today. Definitely a case for me to try. Thanks Catherine!

• barb mann August 3, 2013, 11:56 am

Great! beautiful card and very good & informative video! Love the colors in your project today. Definitely a case for me to try. Thanks Catherine!

• Jessica November 25, 2013, 9:43 pm

I love the butterfly! Great card! You always inspire me SOOOOOO much!! You are such a talented lady!! I would love to sign up for Stamp Nation but I don’t have the extra $$ unfortunatley. :'(

• Carolyn Berry February 27, 2015, 11:12 am

I am new to card making. Enjoy adding quilting to a card and new to that too.

• Jackie April 13, 2015, 12:05 pm

I would like to get started using Sizzix Big Shot and would appreciate help with standard embossing folders to buy first.

Floral Gallery Projects Stampers' Q&A Videos

Best in You

Best in You Stamp Set – Multi-step stamping

Watercolor, Die Cut and Stenciled 3

Watercolor, Stenciled and Die Cut – Negative Space Video Tutorial

SOACongrats

The Perfect Reason Collection – now available!

NeutralInks_FBAD2 (1)

How to Cut Apart Dies for the Big Shot and New Ink Colors!

BLOG-FB_2_FreshlyPicked

Surprise Product Release…you all have been asking for!

Congrats WM

Simply Stamped with Maureen Merritt

Gelatos Backgrounds

Gelato Backgrounds and Stamping

DSC00500

Happy Anniversary card with Lydia Evans

summermasterclassseries_blogsized

Masterclasses coming to StampNation!

Screen Shot 2017-06-09 at 11.55.54 AM