Partial Embossing with the Big Shot

Partial Embossing with the Big Shot 2

Partial Embossing with the Big Shot is a fun twist to put on your cards and it’s really easy to do.

A couple months ago, I made THIS card and only partially embossed my top layer of cardstock.  I’ve gotten quite a few questions on how I did that.

Today I thought I’d do a video for you showing you exactly how to emboss only part of your card.   View this quick video to see how to do this:

Keep reading through the end of the post for important updates, info on the clay flower and how I made the leaves!

Partial Embossing with the Big Shot

Supplies for both cards (all Stampin’ Up unless otherwise noted):

• Very Vintage Florals and Very Vintage Greetings (Wplus9 Designs)
  • Cardstock:  Pool Party, Whisper White
  • Ink:  Melon Mambo, Summer Starfruit, Wild Wasabi, Pool Party
  • Accessories:  Very Vintage Florals and Label Layers 3 Die (Wplus9 Designs), Baja Breeze Seam Binding, White Organdy Ribbon, Rhinestones, Clay and Molds (new Stampin’ Up product beginning May 31), Fancy Fan Embossing Folder, Houndstooth Embossing Folder, Small Butterfly Punch

Partial Embossing with the Big Shot 2

Buttons and Blossoms Simply Pressed Clay Molds  &  Simply Pressed Clay

Anna and I played around with this fun stuff over the weekend and found it pretty easy to work with. The clay comes white and this flower was made by adding two drops of Melon Mambo Reinker to the clay before putting it in the mold.  We also found that if you make white flowers you can color ON the flower with any color marker!  COOL!  Make up a bunch of them at once and have them on hand ready to color to match any project. We found the ones you color with the marker straight onto the finished flower ended up being a darker, more vibrant color.

Partial Embossing with the Big Shot

How did I make the leaves???  It’s the small butterfly punch!  Seriously!

Partial Embossing with the Big Shot

• Kristie May 15, 2013, 1:46 pm

LOVE these cards! How stinkin’ clever of you to use the butterfly punch for leaves. :) Seriously?!!!

• Diane May 15, 2013, 2:18 pm

You say “the ones you color ended up being darker, more vibrant…” The ones you color how – with the reinker or with the marker? I love these buttons.

• Catherine May 15, 2013, 2:24 pm

color with marker…thanks, I will go fix and clarify the post!

Kristie, so glad you like that idea!

• marlene kiley May 15, 2013, 3:41 pm

just want to thank you for the videos as they sure help when making cards. Love your goodies

• Vikki May 15, 2013, 4:14 pm

You are so clever, really like the cards and will have to try the clay and mold, when the time comes…….

• Maria Rodriguez May 15, 2013, 5:33 pm

Oh, Catherine this is fantastic!! how clever and easy this is and it adds so much detail to a card. Seriously!!!!! the “leaves” made with that beautiful butterfly punch look great!! Thanks for all the tips, I will put this embossing technique to great use.
    Maria.

• Carolina F. May 15, 2013, 5:59 pm

Hi Catherine

Thank you so much for teaching the partially embossed technique. It is a fantastic thing to do with envelopes. Looooove it.

• Ardyth May 15, 2013, 6:42 pm

These are lovely – great colour combination – love how the blooms pop off the aqua! Thanks so much for playing along with us at CASology this week!

• Rosemary D May 15, 2013, 7:06 pm

beautiful set of cards… love the partial embossing!! thanks so much for playing along with CASology!

• tesa macapil May 15, 2013, 8:11 pm

wow! this is cool! I already got an idea for my wedding invitation order this coming December. The couple wants something neat and different from the typical invitation.

• Kristine May 15, 2013, 10:19 pm

love the butterfly “leaves” super clever. beautiful cards. I hope you had a great lunch. love Mexican foods too.

• Teresa May 16, 2013, 8:39 am

WOW! I love these cards, Catherine! And so EZ too! Another PLUS for me who has a hard time coming up with ideas. I have my new catalog already and have the clay molds on my list of “must haves”! (along with a ton of other new items : ) Thanks for the great idea. You are so clever!!!!

• Meghan May 16, 2013, 11:36 am

Love both of these cards! Great technique! So glad you joined in on the fun at CASology this week!

• Mary Ann Huntington May 16, 2013, 1:44 pm

I love both the cards. Thank you for all the great tips. I will definitely be CASEing both of your cards. Your ideas are always so awesome.

• Lynn Fletcher May 16, 2013, 10:40 pm

Catherine what a fabulous idea. Using the butterfly punch to make leaves. I love it when the punches can be used for more than the original purpose. TFS!!!

• Barb Ghigliotty May 17, 2013, 10:33 pm

Your cards are absolutely gorgeous, Catherine! I love your techniques and how creative you were with your punch…just beautiful!

• Judy1223 May 18, 2013, 9:43 am

Both gorgeous cards…I love the video, too! Partial embossing and the beautiful colors you have paired on your cards make them both just so eye-catchingly lovely! Thanks for joining us at CASology!

• Maureen Merritt May 19, 2013, 12:35 pm

I love seeing you playing along at CASology :) Beautiful partial embossing and color combo!

• Beverley June 24, 2013, 5:49 am

how do you get the sentiment (thanks for being you) to fit exactly into where the framelit hole is going to be so they match up properly? beautiful card by the way….thank you so much for sharing it with us.

• Pamela Stadler September 9, 2014, 10:52 am

Catherine…I absolutely love to watch your videos…they inspire me!! The new website is SUPER!!!

• Renee Iha June 19, 2015, 10:08 pm

I didn’t know how to contact you but I hope you don’t mind if I leave you a message. Have you ever used Xyron Create a Sticker Max? Can you show me how to use it or I’ll return it to the store? Thank you very much! I’ll enroll in the mood later. I love your newsletters.
    Mahalo (Thank you in Hawaiian)
    Renee

• Selfie July 13, 2015, 3:21 am

Big Shot Floral Gallery Projects Techniques Tool Tips Videos

CPBog

Simply Stamped with Maureen Merritt

Gelatos Backgrounds

Gelato Backgrounds and Stamping

DSC00500

Happy Anniversary card with Lydia Evans

summermasterclassseries_blogsized

Masterclasses coming to StampNation!

Screen Shot 2017-06-09 at 11.55.54 AM

We have WINNERS! Stamp of Approval

Naturally Inspired Stamp of Approval Emboss Resist

Naturally Inspired Stamp of Approval Blog Hop Day 3: Emboss Resist Card

Naturally Inspired Stamp of Approval 2

Naturally Inspired Stamp of Approval Blog Hop Day 2: Stamped and Die Cut Card

Masculine Card with Stamp of Approval 2

Naturally Inspired Stamp of Approval Blog Hop Day 1: Masculine Card

Birds of a Feather 2

Naturally Inspired Stamp of Approval – Birds of a Feather

The best is yet to come 2

Product Reveal Day #2: Naturally Inspired SOA

Laughter is the best medicine

Product Reveal Day #1: Naturally Inspired SOA

Simply the Best 2

Early Preview of Stamp of Approval

View More: http://em-grey.pass.us/catherine-pooler-august-2016-em-grey-photography-raleigh-nc

SOA Sneak Peeks and Facebook Live!

SOAGDcollage

Stamp of Approval Guest Design Team!

Happy-Birthday-Cake-Card-by-Taheerah-Atchia-001