KISS Card using the Masking Technique

KISS Card using the Masking Technique

Today's KISS Card is featuring the Masking Technique!  I saw this done in Stampin' Up's Demonstrator Magazine this month and it re-sparked my interest in it and I thought you might like it, too!

I have used the Masking Technique for years, in fact, Simply WOW! has several videos on how to use this technique in different ways.

KISS Card using the Masking Technique

It's perfect for KISS Cards  (Keep It Simple Stamper!), don't you think?  I have to laugh at the result of these cards and this video.  I made the first card here a few days ago and it turned out differently than I had in mind because I made some boo-boos that had to be covered up (how often does that happen to YOU!?).  I talked about that in the video, then BAM!  It happened on the card that I was making.

Watch the video and you'll see what I mean and you'll learn how to do the Masking Technique.

There may be a slightly weird camera angle for this video.  Just as I was about to film, the power, internet and phone went out.  I thought it was the apocalypse (perhaps I've been watching too much Walking Dead) and figured I better hurry up and film while I could (although if it were the apocalypse no one would ever SEE this video!) so I moved my stamping station next to the window and there wasn't much room for my camera.

Enough chit chat…

If you like this card and tutorial, subscribe to my newsletter for weekly exclusive projects delivered to your inbox.  Click here to subscribe!

The “Not-so KISS Card” video will be on StampNation today or tomorrow and it will be the 290th video!!!  Wow…the 300th video is right around the corner.  That is EXCITING!

KISS Card using the Masking Technique

Stampin'Up Supplies:

• Perfectly Penned Stamp Set, Oh, Hello Stamp Set, Betsy's Blossoms Stamp Set
  • Cardstock:  Whisper White, Tangerine Tango, Daffodil Delight, Melon Mambo
  • Ink:  Regal Rose and Rose Red, Daffodil Delight and Tangerine Tango, Early Espresso, Melon Mambo Marker
  • Accessories:  Baker's Twine, Rhinestones, 3/4″ Circle Punch, Brights Paper Stack, Scallop Border Punch, Dimensionals, Fancy Fan Embossing Folder, Sycamore Street Designer Series Paper, Color Spritzer Tool

KISS Card using the Masking Technique

So I messed up when I stamped the greeting here, so I had to stamp it again, cut that out and add it to the card.  Then, I decided to add a bit of pop to the card with the Daffodil Delight Scallop Border Punch piece.  When I adhered that to the card, it was too low so I had to move it.  Yep, when I did that I tore the card.  So I needed something else.

In come banners.  The little banners ended up being such a fun, cute addition to the card.

KISS Card using the Masking Technique

I love the results, but tell me…does this still qualify as a KISS Card?

Tomorrow I will showcase another card that I made using the Masking Technique.

• Kristie February 22, 2013, 2:42 pm

I love these cards! You are so creative at covering up your boo boos. Thanks for the video.

• Jen Jacobsen February 22, 2013, 3:03 pm

You are so freakin’ cute and your projects are AMAZING!! TFS! Love ya girl.

• Carolina February 22, 2013, 6:13 pm

Beautiful kiss card. I enjoy every single card you created. Thank you!

• Sharon J. Jones February 22, 2013, 7:39 pm

Catherine, I always love your videos, and especially how creatively you cover up your booboos! I love how calm you are about it…just going, whoops! Let’s see what we can do with that … and BAM! another gorgeous card!! You are just so talented, gf!! ;D

• Vickie Roberts-Thompson February 22, 2013, 9:57 pm

I really enjoyed the video. Thank You!!

• Brenda B February 23, 2013, 11:01 am

Great video with the kiss cards. Love your ideas and encouragements about just going on and fixing the booboos! Everything turns out in the end. Wonderful cards!

• Debbie February 23, 2013, 3:34 pm

I love how a mistake can create what I refer in my work as the Triple A Effect . . . Absolutely Adorable Alternatives! Love the way you created your way out to such a beautiful card.

• Virginia Delzer February 25, 2013, 12:44 pm

Great video tutorial.
    Thanks for sharing.
    Love the cards!

• Christine (UK) February 25, 2013, 2:18 pm

Stunning cards, love the vid too! I’ve just learnt a new technique yeah!

• Laura Chidester February 27, 2013, 12:12 pm

I love your cards. I especially the tips about turning a mistake into an opportunity to change it up! Thanks again.

• Clare March 30, 2013, 11:13 am

Catherine, as many times as I have watched your masking videos you would think that I would have tried it by now. :) I will be doing some masking at our retreat for sure. May do that for our swap. :) Can’t wait to see you.

• Pat KInkaid April 24, 2013, 3:03 pm

Thanks again for a great video, and clever tips on hiding the boo-boos!

• Sharon April 24, 2013, 6:18 pm

What a simple technique you did – masking- all new to me and so great. Kiss cards are just what we all need many days!

• Gayle Strickland April 24, 2013, 8:46 pm

Catherine, I will not be so quick to get mad and toss the card in the trash. I have fixed some of my blunders, and the cards do turn out looking really good. However, I usually spend too much time deciding how to fix them. You gave me some new ideas. Thanks, Gayle S.

• Charlotte Far;ley February 16, 2015, 12:05 am

Love it! I am a beginner and as you might imagine, I do not have nearly all of the equipment you guys use yet. It is so much fun to look at all you do. This is beautiful.

• Marge April 9, 2015, 11:44 am

All of you instructions and ideas are awesome! I truly enjoy seeing your showcase techniques. Keep showing me these ideas and thank you for teaching dumb me!

• Marge May 25, 2015, 10:08 am

I love when you show how to fix “boo-boos”. I am the queen of boos. Thanks.

• Suzanne July 2, 2015, 10:48 pm

Catherine,

You make beautiful cards, and just love to watch you, make a card and your boo boos. I really enjoy your video.

Birthday Card Making Gallery KISS Cards Techniques Videos

Interesting Image

Chrissie Tobas Post

Faithful Flutterings with Chrissie

Available-Now_Square

Blog Hop Winners

Twisted Sunburst and Happiness Enclosed

Sunny with a Side of Sparkle Blog Hop Day 3: Stencils with Embossing Glitter

Starlights and Twisted Sunburst

Sunny with a Side of Sparkle Blog Hop Day 2: Stamping with Stencils

Starlights and Twisted Sunburst 3

Sunny with a Side of Sparkle Blog Hop Day 1

Available-June_Square

Sunny with a Side of Sparkle – full product reveal!

Stamping and Negative Die Cuts

Stamping and Negative Die Cuts – video tutorial

B8A18C9B-092A-4217-98F9-9FB7385F984B

You are Wonderful with Ashlea

DSC00425

Rainbow Note of Thanks with Lydia

mel-wonderful

Simply Wonderful with Melissa – stamping inside the BFF Background

CP Wild and Wonderful Tracie Pond (10 of 12)

Thank You For All You Do with Tracie Pond

7FE9EAEFD4C246149BD186C86183F7C7

Crush on Grape Crush with Susan

Congrats for ardyth 2

Ink Blended and Glittered Congratulations Card for Ardyth

Wonderful Wildflowers in pink and green

Catherine Pooler Designs