Stampers’ Q&A: What Punches are the Best?

silhouette sentiments stampin' up

Here is a common question that came to me this week from Lisa:

"In so many videos I watch, there’s layering of a small circle onto a different color larger circle…then ultimately matted onto an even larger scalloped circle, etc…

I guess I’m just wondering what punches you’d recommend for me to have in my crafting arsenal…lol.  I have a Cricut and have many cartridges that can cut circles any size…yet sometimes I find I just like the ease of reaching for a punch and calling it good…so…which punches would you recommend as the "must-have’s that I use over and over?"

This is such a terrific question, I thought I would address it here for this week’s Stampers Q&A.  Hold on to your hats, ladies (and gents!) there is a lot of info here, 2 fabulous projects (at least I think so ;) and a video showing you the goods!!

My very favorite punches that I use over and over and over again are:

• 119861 1 1/4" Circle Punch
  • 119850 1 3/8" Circle Punch
  • 119854 1 3/4" Scallop Circle Punch
  • 119855 1 3/4 x 7/8" Oval
  • 119856 Scallop Oval
  • 117191 2 Step Bird Punch
  • 119849 Modern Label Punch
  • 119857 Word Window Punch

You can see I used the 1 3/8" Circle Punch and Scallop Circle Punch on this card that I made for 2sketches4you.  I also used the Faux Suede Technique on the strip of Riding Hood Red for IncyWincyDesigns.

CLICK HERE TO LEARN HOW TO DO THE FAUX SUEDE TECHNIQUE.

silhouette-sentiments stampin' up

STAMPIN’ UP SUPPLIES:

• Silhouette Sentiments Hostess Stamp Set
  • STAMPIN’ UP CARDSTOCK: Basic Black, Riding Hood Red, Very Vanilla
  • STAMPIN’ UP INK PADS:  Riding Hood Red, Basic Black
  • STAMPIN’ UP ACCESSORIES:  119861 1 1/4" Circle Punch, 119854 1 3/4" Scallop Circle Punch, Victoria Crochet TrimVintage Wallpaper Embossing Folder, Cutter Kit, Love Story Designer Series Paper

For this card, I used my Extra Large Oval Punch to make the pumpkin.

The Word Window and Modern Label Punches with the Teeny Tiny Wishes Stamp Set…those three are a PERFECT combination for adding just the right greeting to any card!

STAMPIN’ UP SUPPLIES:

• TEENY TINY WISHES STAMP SET
  • STAMPIN’ UP CARDSTOCK:  Basic Black, Pumpkin Pie, Old Olive
  • STAMPIN’ UP INK PADS: Old Olive
  • STAMPIN’ UP ACCESSORIES:  Waffle Paper, Wicked Fun Specialty Paper, Sweet and Sour Specialty Paper, Extra Large Oval Punch, Leaves Big Shot Die, Modern Label Punch, Word Window Punch

pumpkin-punch-card stampin' up

This card was inspired by the sketch at Papercraft Planet, Paperplaytime (use mostly orange) and Simplyscrapping (use pumpkins!), Oh-la-la (nothing floral), squigglefly (celebration).

If you are not on my newsletter list, be sure to sign up right away!  My 12 Weeks of Christmas Campaign just began and you don’t want to miss out on another week!

Click here to SUBSCRIBE and you will get subscriber only projects, tutorials, a sign up gift and a holiday idea for the next 11 weeks delivered straight to your inbox!  Oh, yeah!  Did I mention you also get a sign up gift?

If you would like to purchase the products to make this card, or other Stampin’ Up supplies, Click Here!

signature4

• Sharon October 11, 2010, 9:35 pm

This is just a wonderful card! Love how you used punches to make the pumpkin! Beautiful!! Thanks for playing in paper with us at Paper Playtime!!! :)

• Rosemarie Diehl October 11, 2010, 11:22 pm

So pretty! Thanks for playing along this week at 2S4Y!

• Nikki C October 12, 2010, 1:31 am

Great faux suede and fab use of punches too Thanks for Playing Incy Wincy this Week
    Hugs Nikki and the rest of the DT

• Wendi October 12, 2010, 3:41 am

What a gorgeous card I love those embossed pumpkins pretty papers too
    Thank you so much for sharing with us at ooh la la this week
    Wendi

• Maria Matter October 12, 2010, 9:00 am

beautiful cards Catherine!
    love the punched pumpkin…the embossing is brilliant!
    Blessings!

• Janis October 12, 2010, 10:45 am

Beautiful pumpkin card. Thanks for playing with us at Paper Playtime. :) Janis

• Ooh La La October 13, 2010, 8:05 am

Sumptuous card, love the technique. Thank you for sharing with us at OLL. Hugs x

• Holly October 13, 2010, 11:15 am

Wonderful card! Thanks for playing in the Squigglefly challenge.

• Catherine October 13, 2010, 5:22 pm

Thank you so much for your comments! I love reading them!

• kazan October 14, 2010, 8:28 pm

Wow that is a beauty Catherine – love the demo too :)
    Thanks for joining us this week at 2S4Y
    Hugs
    Kazan

• Sandra October 15, 2010, 7:05 pm

Such a great pumpkin card I love the embossing TFS at PPT!
    Sandra

Projects Stampers' Q&A Videos

GET YOUR GUIDE: "THE TOP 10 THINGS EVERY STAMPER NEEDS TO KNOW"
(number 10 is my all-time favorite!)
Plus you’ll be added to my FREE mailing list to receive my best paper crafting tips and tricks that I only share in emails!

Decofoil4

Foil Accents with Deco Foil Adhesive Pen

SOA - Eva Bussom

Inspiration Nation & Beautiful World

Screen Shot 2016-04-26 at 10.51.28 AM

SN Classroom Highlights for April

CASEing Allison

Inspiration Nation and CASEing Allison!

Screen Shot 2016-04-21 at 4.49.41 PM

Blog hop winners!

SN challenge collection 4:20

Beautiful World Challenge Peeks!

Beautiful World 28

SOA Beautiful World Collection BLOG HOP!

Beautiful World 22

Stamp of Approval A Beautiful World Collection with Copic Markers

Beautiful World 16

Beautiful World Collection: GeoBuilders and Two You’s

Beautiful World 14

Beautiful World Collection: Enchanted Garden & All About You

Beautiful World 4

Beautiful World Stamp of Approval: Beautiful World Stamp Set

SOA Beautiful World

SOA Beautiful World Collection WINNERS

Screen Shot 2016-04-13 at 4.04.00 PM

StampNation Member Highlight – Carol Held

Patterned Paper Candles2

Patterned Paper: Birthday Candles

A little Stamp of Approval Surprise!

Screen Shot 2013-02-21 at 7.44.15 PM